In this Article...
Part one of our overwintering series - Goats can handle the cold as they grow a thick cashmere coat in winter
- Only provide extra heat if they are giving birth to kids in severe winter below 0F or -17.8C
- If kids get too cold they need to be brought in and kept on heat pads
- Don’t use heat lamps in barns as are fire hazards + open barns for fresh air won’t be heated by lamps
- They need plenty of fresh air, as pneumonia is the 2nd most common cause of death
- You can make coats for the kids from sweatshirts
- Give them warm water in winter which they love